Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day marks a number of events and traditions in American history since 1863:

- It is a time to remember the number of blessings in each of our own lives: family, friends, food, a home, education, love and God.

- It is the picturesque "Norman Rockewell" moment to share with family members and friends, and enjoy delicious food like a golden turkey to be carved, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, sweet corn, cranberry salad and pumpkin pie!

- It is a lazy afternoon to sit around and watch the Detroit Lions, once again, lose a Thanksgiving Day football game.

- It is an early morning to watch movies all day long, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and play games.

It is a day that, while marked with several traditions, is different every year , yet a memorable time.
The most iconic thing about Thanksgiving, in my mind, is the food and the turkey. Most American households are filled with the growing aroma of turkey on Thanksgiving Day, but more recently the traditional turkey is being tossed for a tofu alternative in some households. TOFURKEY. In short, it is a mass of soy protein molded into the shape of a turkey breast to be eaten as an alternative to turkey. 
I am not ignorant that some people prefer to not eat meat, or they may be allergic to consuming animal protein. I respect that.
However, when I hear people such as Ellen DeGeneres openly encouraging people to "Adopt-A-Turkey" instead of eating one that has "suffered and tortured on a factory farm", then you lose me.
Is eating tofu wrong? NO. In fact, tofu is the result of an agricultural commodity that is quite popular in the Midwest, soybeans. So, people that eat tofu are still supporting the agricultural industry. But, what bothers me is those who chose to remove meat from their dinner table because of the "suffering" that occurs on farms, and because they are against animal agriculture.
Let's get some ideas out here:

FIRST OF ALL... It is true. In the agricultural industry, there are farmers who do not respect their livestock or care for them in a manner that is unethical. These people should be punished according to the law and understand the gravity of their actions.

SECOND... In spite of my previous statement, it is so important to know that agriculture is an industry where caring for animals is our ethical obligation and our priority. Everyday, especially during Thanksgiving, farmers give thanks for the animals, crops and land that provide for their livelihood and for ensuring the health of each person on this planet. Support your turkey farmers!

This is me with one of my turkeys that I have been caring for since May. Why did I buy them? Not only because I love raising animals, but because of the nutritional value they would add to my family's Thanksgiving dinner. I am thankful for each of the animals that I raise because of the joy I get from caring for them, as well as the nourishment they provide for my family as well as others.
FINALLY... just my own 2 cents... If you are considering "adopting", put your money towards helping and saving the life of a child.
Happy Thanksgiving, and thank a farmer for the food they have been providing our planet with for over 2,000 years! 
Lord, bless the land You've given me,
And may I always know
As I tend each crop and creature
You're the One who helps them grow.

Grant me the strength and wisdom
Please protect me from harm,
And thank You
For Your gracious gift-
The blessing of a farm.
AMEN.

1 comment:

  1. I picked up a Jennie-O turkey yesterday; giving thanks for Minnesota agriculture all week long.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete