Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I HAVE A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!


The barn exploded with sound! However, it wasn't the typical, iconic "MMMMMOOOOO" of the cows. With eyes as wide as a kid on Christmas morning, the visitors in the milking parlour of  Autumnwood Farm were full of questions...

Do they eat anything else besides hay?
How does the milker stay on?
What happens when they don't get milked?
How come they can't produce milk before having a calf?
Is that a COW?!?!
HOW MUCH MILK DO COWS MILK??

With smiles of their face, the Daninger family welcomed each and every question... no matter how "simple" or repetitive they were. A "growing need for agricultural literacy, advocacy and education" was the primary driver for Pat and Sharlene Daninger to begin the annual Farm-City Day at Autumnwood Farm. Since 1902, dairy farming has been a part of the very life and land that Autumnwood Farm still sits on today. It is quite different today than it was over 100 years ago as the farm has expanded to include their own micro-creamery and bottling facility. While the event started small, it has grown so much through the support of local farmers, growers, organizations and community members. While some "heard about it from a neighbor" and others "just love their milk", everyone had a reason to be there. The most common theme among young families was the fact that "my kids have never been on a farm!" 
I attended this event last year because I just happened to be in the cities around the same time... and I was conveniently in the same situation this year! As a high school student I was exposed to agricultural education through classes and FFA. Nonetheless, I believe that the Farm-City Day is agricultural education at its finest. Whether you are 4 or 40, where else can you get a firsthand experience of how your milk goes from "grass to glass" than visiting a dairy farm? Firsthand, they met the people behind their products. Although the event was just one day, I firmly believe that the experience that each and every visitor had will extend throughout their life. Aside from a warm day in June, Autumnwood Farm creates connections with consumers through their own newsletter highlighting the events on their farm, and even personal stories about their cows.
Days like this often make me wonder...

What am I doing to promote agriculture ?
Who else shares the story of agriculture like this ? 
Are the experiences I have in agriculture shared with those disconnected ?

The Daninger family has embraced their passion for agriculture, and they are NOT selfish about it!  Too often, I find myself only sharing my experience in agriculture with those who actually are engaged in agriculture simply because they "get it" and others would be confused. Families and farms like Autumnwood Farm remind me of how open we must be to those around us.

- Share your story - Share your passion - Share your life -
Through that, you can change a life.  

One more thing... their chocolate milk is to die for.  =)

I'll let their website sell itself... CLICK HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment